Friday, May 18, 2012

I just had a thought:


El Barrio really doesn't need hipsters because it is a mecca of cultural and artistic thought.

It contains people from all sorts of backgrounds, predicaments and financial circumstances--in fact, add the gentrification and it even mixes in that side of the proverbial fence!

But it also has an independent small business community that is really intersupportive. In my years of living "south of the border" (you know on 96th st) I have seen first hand the the overlapping of businesses and community support in Barriolandia and it is pretty dope.

I mean obvs, it is not all flowers and candy--but it is a real fact.

El Barrio loves El Barrio.

Not to oversimplify here, but if a decent balance of these juxtaposed realities could remain within this relatively small slice of Manhattan--how truly amazing would that be?

I just thought this needed recognition.

I mean, it's like the whole borough of Manhattan is going under a "Duane Reade-ovation". (you know losing some of that allure that comes with a scuff or scrape.)

Maybe I should spend more time in East Harlem Cafe--even if enjoy the occasional Starbucks...

Though I don't know her personally, s/o to Michelle Cruz, owner of East Harlem Cafe and her ability to raise 10K in 30 days to keep her business alive!

I should mention Kickstarter is a wonderful tool.


I should also get some sleep.
 ~ #Lalo.pez

No comments:

Post a Comment