Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A Light at the End of the Tunnel....

The morning commute can be rough. But sometimes the most random thing can brighten your day. A person's willingness to help a confused tourist, a young man who gives up his seat for a pregnant women or a random act of affection (not the nauseating kind) between young lovers can go a long way to diffuse the ticking time bomb that can be a Monday morning.

So in my particular case, I am able to distract myself from the urge to slap around small children (a gross exaggeration...well maybe not gross) by taking a moment to look at the decorative token booth on E 86th st.This small box of hope greeted me many a morning and sent me on my way after a 10 hour day. It wasn't much--but to me this was a clear representation of looking at what was really important. 

Seriously, I am the first one to talk about how much a job can suck..truthfully I could write a dissertation on the uneventful employment opportunities that have befallen me in the last 2 years. But what is it that people always say....look at the brightside?

Sure, maybe that little box saw the occasional rat or an unruly mentally disturbed vagabundo but in the end....it was Christmas, it was Easter...it was....Cinco de Mayo! And damn it---it was worth taking the time out  to string those sombreros around the window! 


Well friends...upon my exit today...I realized. That booth is now closed. No more gratuitous holiday cheer in an otherwise dreary surrounding, no more Cupid cutouts in February....

so now what? I suppose I will go take solace in watching the masses wait on line for a burger at the shake shack....that's gotta count as some form of entertainment.   


No comments:

Post a Comment